Join COLUMBIA'S MOST SUCCESSFUL TEAM
Do you have a passion for debate, acting, or public speech? Are you addicted to courtroom dramas? Are you interested in developing public speaking and critical thinking skills, as well as lasting friendships? If so, you're in the right place. Columbia Mock Trial gives you the opportunity to develop real-life skills, travel across the country, and meet an amazing group of people. Plus we win a lot of awesome trophies.
What do you do?
ROLES. Team members can play one of three different roles in any given round:
- Attorney - There are three attorneys per side in each round. Attorneys are responsible for conducting a direct examination of a witness on our team to further the facts of our case, and a cross examination of an opposing witness to poke holes in the rival team's case. In addition, one attorney is selected to give an opening statement, and another to give a closing statement. Public speaking, effective argumentation, and critical thinking are necessary in this role.
- Witnesses - There are three witnesses per side in each round, selected just minutes before the competition begins. Witnesses are responsible for portraying a character that helps prove our side's case. Witnesses will prepare a direct examination with an attorney from our team, and will undergo cross examination by an opposing attorney. The ability to act, think on your feet, and articulate your fact pattern are crucial.
THE COMMITMENT. Columbia Mock Trial practices two times a week in order to prepare for competition. About once a month we travel across the country to compete at invitationals hosted by other universities. Starting in February, our tournaments serve as qualifiers to the national competition. Although it may seem like a big time commitment up front, all of our members agree that it's worth it both inside of the courtroom and out.
STEP 1 - LEARN MORE AND INTRODUCE YOURSELF
- Come visit our table at the Activities Fair this fall to get more information about our team and meet some of our members!
- Please email us at email@example.com for more information as the fall semester approaches or if you have any questions about the team, the commitment, the audition process, and more.
- Follow us on Twitter @columbiamock or Like our Facebook page, Columbia Mock Trial, for updates on the audition process, our team members, and our competitive season. When the semester starts we will post the link to sign up for an audition slot here.
- Come to one of our information sessions and learn more about the team, the activity, and how to audition. Information session times will be posted on our social media accounts and here starting at the beginning of the fall semester. Our upcoming information session will be on September 9 at 8pm.
step 2: Try Out
- Sign up for an audition slot! You can do this at our information session on September 9 at 8pm.
- Our tryout involves a quick prepared public speaking demonstration and an impromptu argumentation exercise. Questions? All will be answered at new interest meeting on September 9.
- If we like what we see, you'll receive an invitation for a callback. Details on this will be provided if we ask you to come back.